Southern California Horses in Need
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Southern California Horses in Need

Connecting horses and people who love them!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Info on TUNGSTEN (8 year old OTTB)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hanaeleh

Hanaeleh

Info on TUNGSTEN (8 year old OTTB) Empty
PostSubject: Info on TUNGSTEN (8 year old OTTB)   Info on TUNGSTEN (8 year old OTTB) EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 12:07 am

My friend Cynthia and I do some volunteer work for Valley View Vaulters in Lakeview Terrace. Most of VVV's horses are rescued or donated. Unfortunately, not all the horses they get are suitable for the vaulting program so we have offered to help find new homes for three horses: Two are rescues, one is a donation...

Valley View Vaulters is a non profit charity, 501(3)c so all money goes to the charity, NOT TO ME. Feel free contact me if you want more info and photos as it may be some time before their pics and details are up on the VVV web site. Interested folks are welcome to come to my place to meet this horse if they interested in adopting.

TUNGSTEN:

RESCUED Off-the-Track Thoroughbred gelding (OTTB), 16,3hh, 8 years old, Chestnut with white blaze (lip tattoo is readable so Jockey Club registration could be located) . Tungsten has been off the track at least 2 years and well treated. Very friendly, gentle, easy to handle, good ground manners. Nice under saddle. Going well barefoot. Saddles and bits easily (not girthy! A miracle for an OTTB!). Knows his cues. He is definitely "English" trained and doesn't neck rein although I plan to teach him as he moves nicely off the leg. He is serviceably sound at all three gaits but I don't recommend him for jumping.

I've had him vetted in March and in addition to learning that he needs his teeth floated, I also learned that Tungsten has suffered a "capped hip" injury at some point in his career: A capped hip occurs when the point of the pelvis gets damaged in a crush injury, probably the from having an accident in a starting gate. Fortunately for Tungsten, his previous owners spent the money to have the hip surgically stabilized. Other than the right hip looks a bit odd when the leg is lifted for trimming or shoeing, and there is a slight short step at the extended trot, the injury does not affect Tungsten's way of going at all. Because the hip is stabilized, however, Tungsten will not pass a typical hip flexxion test as part of a veterinary pre-purchase exam.

Tungsten is currently gaining weight and muscle nicely. I'm using him for beginner-level lessons in the arena for flat work and he's turning out to be my best "school master." He is patient, willing and unflappable with new riders. He's also fabulous on trail. He's no slouch and likes to really walk out on trail which I love because he can keep up with my Tennessee Walker at the flat walk! However, that big strided forward walk can be a bit intimidating to the timid rider but otherwise I'd say Tungsten is very nearly bombproof. I haven't found anything to spook him yet. His reaction to something that startles him is to go investigate it! What a great attitude! He is OK in front, middle or behind the group. He is OK going out on his own too...no problems with traffic, kids, dogs, yard decorations (flashing pink flamingoes were ho hum, LOL), crossing water, ditches, he even knows how to sit on his hocks for steep downhills and pushing up hills. Terrific guy! He will make a nice trail horse, hunter, and/or games/gymkhana horse.

Adoption/donation fee is $1500 for Tungsten. However, due to the capped hip, VVV would be willing to negotiate this considerably for the right "forever home."

natalie in sylmar, ca
equigal_99@yahoo.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.hanaeleh.com

Info on TUNGSTEN (8 year old OTTB)
Page 1 of 1